Original article from United Benefit Advisors
There are some stunning statistics that speak to the fact that most employers are not prepared to handle a disaster. For instance, did you know that only 35 percent of small- to medium-sized businesses have a comprehensive disaster recovery plan*, yet 94 percent of them believe that a disaster could seriously disrupt their business in within the next two years?**
There is a direct connection between a company’s viability and disaster preparedness planning. Without exaggeration, if you do not help your employees and their families prepare for a disaster, your organization might fail.
There are key steps an organization can take to assist their employees. And fortunately, an upcoming webinar on May 9, 2013 at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT, Protecting Your Organization by Preparing Your Employees, will further explore these actions in greater detail. These steps include:
1. Ensure Employees Know/Understand the Disaster Plan
– Do employees know the plan, where to find it, and know their primary role?
2. Prepare for Work from Home Challenges
– Have you accounted for network login limitations, power outages, etc.?
– Family/Property in peril
– Child care issues
3. Cross Train Employees
– Critical functions must continue
– Certain areas/departments may experience greater demand
– Longer/Odd hours may require additional staffing
4. Prepare Families
– Do your employees’ families have a plan?
– Your organization can help with workshops, checklists, emergency kits, flu shot clinics, family involvement days
5. Conduct Transportation Planning
– Account for mass public transportation shut downs, fuel shortages, restricted access, damaged vehicles
6. Communicate the Four Simple FEMA Steps to Your Employees
1. Be Informed
2. Make a Plan
3. Build a Kit
4. Get Involved
Taking a head-in-the-sand approach will greatly impact your organization’s ability to thrive. Familiarizing yourself and implementing these disaster recovery strategies will protect your organization. To register for the Protecting Your Organization by Preparing Your Employees webinar, visit http://teamkaminsky.com/webcasts/.
**American Red Cross and FedEx Small Business Survey, 2007